Guys. THIS IS NOT A DRILL. This copycat version of healthy(er) samoas aren’t only grain-free, dairy-free and refined-sugar free, but they also only take 3 ingredients. THREE. Not to mention they’ve helped me survive this week, so that’s a win in itself.
I’m not going to lie – the first time I tried making these I was skeptical. I know dates have a caramel-y flavor, but I definitely didn’t think that it could be enough to do my beloved samoas justice. (Samoas are riiiiight up there with Thin Mints as the go-to/O.G. Girl Scout cookies). Boy, was I wrong.
I’m not kidding when I say these taste EXACTLY like the real thing. Pinkie-promise. The only thing ‘missing ‘ (if you could even say that) is the crunch from the shortbread cookie … butttttt I dip mine extra thick in chocolate so there’s lotsa crunch from that instead.
If you’re looking for a sweet treat that won’t make you feel guilty after you eat a whole sleeve (I mean, what?) and that you don’t have to wait for only once a year don’t walk – RUN – to your kitchen and give these a try.
WHAT YOU NEED
- 8-10 medjool dates, pitted
- 1 cup shredded coconut, toasted
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (I used Enjoy Life to make it vegan)
WHAT TO DO
- If your coconut isn’t toasted yet, do so by placing on an ungreased baking sheet and cooking for 6-8 minutes at 300°
- Place dates and coconut in food processor and pulse until a thick dough-like substance forms
- Hand-shape dough to form small patties, using a straw to poke holes through the center
- Put cookies on a plate with parchment paper, and place in freezer to cool for 30 minutes
- Microwave chocolate chips in :30 intervals until melted
- Remove cookies from freezer, dip bottoms in chocolate and drizzle remaining chocolate on top
- Place back in freezer to set
Personally, I like to keep mine in the freezer until I’m ready to eat them (just like I do with the real-deal cookies). If these don’t convince you that clean AND tasty treats are 100% possible, I don’t know what will. Who knows – you might just find yourself going door-to-door selling these guys … they’re that good.
Meet you in the kitchen,